Call SERVPRO of Milton / Braintree for Professional Soot Damage Cleanup
Damage from a furnace puff back can leave your home and its belongings covered in fine soot particles.
Damage from a furnace puff back can leave your home and its belongings covered in fine soot particles. Depending on the severity of the puff back, the distribution of oil based soot and smoke throughout your home can be extensive. Thankfully, most puff back cleanups are covered by insurance as they require a professional for the cleanup process. The process for cleaning up this type of damage requires specialized techniques and equipment, but in addition, the soot and particles floating through the air and onto surfaces creates an unhealthy environment especially for young children and elderly relatives. Call SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree so we can help you quickly and safely restore your home.
While You Wait for Help to Arrive:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil.
- Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Do not shampoo carpet or upholstery.
- Do not clean any electrical equipment.
- Do not send clothing to a dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Don't risk causing any further damage to your home or belongings by attempting to clean up the damage yourself. Call the fire damage cleanup and restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree at 781-341-7007. We are available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week and can restore your home so it looks “Like It Never Even Happened”.
Things to Remember If A Puffback Happens
Contact SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree to help you restore your property in the event of a furnace puff back.
As we move further into fall and edge closer to winter, the desire to start nudging up the dial on the thermostat grows increasingly strong. While the first time we turn the heat on may fully signal the end of a season, for those with a poorly maintained furnace, it can call attention to a bigger problem resulting in a furnace “puff back” and a house covered in soot and smoke.
- Furnace Puff Backs require professionals to restore your home
- Most Puff Back cleanups are covered by insurance
- After a puff back, limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from becoming embedded in upholstery and carpets
- Keep hands clean so as not to further spoil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linen on rugs, upholstery, and carpets
- Clean and protect chrome with a light coating of petroleum jelly or oil
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers
- Throw away all exposed food
- Make sure a repairman is hired to repair the malfunctioning furnace
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or surface yourself
- Don't turn on ceiling fans or increase air circulation as this will only spread soot around
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may cause the smoke odor to set.
- Do call SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree at 781-341-7007
Contact SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree to help you restore your property in the event of a furnace puff back. Our smoke and fire damage specialists have the equipment and training to quickly return your home to a safe, clean, and comfortable environment for you and your family. We're faster to any disaster and are dedicated to responding immediately so that you can recover quickly, with less disruption to your life.
SERVPRO of Milton / Braintree – Post Construction Cleaning
With a professional construction cleaning, you can ensure that you'll see the full value of your renovation at the end of the project.
Even the most conscientious construction crews leave dirt, debris, and dust at the end of a construction project. With a professional construction cleaning, you can ensure that you'll see the full value of your renovation at the end of the project. With SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree's Professional Construction Cleaning we'll take care of the four major components that can prevent your newly renovated property from looking its best:
- Debris/Trash –Trash is an eye sore to your property and loose debris can cause problems with your neighbors. It can also leave a negative image with future clients or potential buyers. Debris pick up at each stage of the project will make a work area look organized and tidy.
- Exterior construction clean up – Walkways, entrance ways and patios are the first image visitors see of your new construction area. A typical construction worksite will leave hundreds of construction nails and potentially dangerous metal fragments in the yard. Sweeping, power washing and general exterior organization will help keep the site organized and safe.
- Interior clean up– A professional cleaning will include a wipe down of walls, floors, windows and appliances. HEPA Vacuuming and cleaning of all flooring and carpets will safely remove all of the potentially dangerous particles. An extensive detail cleaning will bring out the shine of all windows, lights, door knobs and hinges ensuring that every surface of your project “show ready.”
- Duct Cleaning - After construction, the inside of an HVAC system can be a scary sight. During construction ultra fine particles collect on air duct surfaces and fall into the crevices of your air duct system. A professional cleaning company will use a “state of the art” portable duct cleaning system using a powerful HEPA vacuum and an air compressor. This service will eliminate irritating dust, remove offensive odors, and improve HVAC operating system efficiency.
Take the final step to truly transform your property by having SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree professionally cleanup your construction project. Reduce stress, maximize the beauty of your property, and enhance the likelihood of a sale with our help.
Have Questions about Construction Cleaning?
Call Us Today – 781-341-7007
Insurance Reconstruction - What is Recoverable Depreciation?
Insurance policies can be confusing.
This is an amount of money withheld by the carrier to ensure your repairs are made and ensure it costs the insured the full amount to repair the property.
Here is an example:
- Actual estimated amount of the claim: $10,000
- Customer Deductible: -$1,000
- Recoverable Depreciation Withheld: -$2,000
- Actual Cash Value payment made to insured: $7,000
In this example for a $10,000 claim, the insured would receive a check for $7,000 to repair the property.
Once the work is completed and the total cost of the repair has been incurred, the insured can file with their insurance carrier for the recoverable depreciation. In this example the recoverable depreciation payment would be $2,000 to the insured once the work was complete.
Have questions about insurance reconstruction? Call SERVPRO of Milton / Braintree Today – 781-341-7007.
What To Do When Sewer Damage Strikes
When you are dealing with sewage damage, immediate cleanup is crucial.
SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree is available 24 hours a day for sewage removal emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with sewage damage, immediate cleanup is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the damage.
• Treat all water-impacted surfaces and furnishings as toxic, until properly decontaminated.
• Keep children and pets out of contaminated areas.
• Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
• Track contaminated material into undamaged areas.
• Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
• Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
• Attempt to decontaminate surfaces with sprays and other over-the-counter germicidal products, which may not fully disinfect contaminated surfaces.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help! Call Today About Our Sewage Removal Services-781-341-7007
About SERVPRO of Milton / Braintree
SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke, sewage (Category 3), or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility, to regular IICRC-industry certification, you can rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
How Does a Furnace Puff Back Occur?
A misfiring furnace can cause a puff back that can send soot throughout your home.
A misfiring in the furnace causes a puff back that can send soot throughout your home. When an oil burner doesn't immediately ignite, and oil fumes are allowed to build up before ignition, a small explosion can occur – similar to a backfiring of a car. Furnace puff backs can also result from a buildup of debris in your furnace that create an excessive explosion when the furnace is ignited. In both scenarios, the explosion shoots debris through the furnace's exhaust system and into your home. For homes with a forced hot air system, the damage can be much more extensive since the ducts will help spread the soot as easily as they spread heat throughout your home. In addition to the damage caused to your home by a puff back, it's also a sign of a problem in your heating system which will need to be repaired to prevent any further misfirings.
Contact SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree at 781-341-7007 to help you restore your property in the event of a furnace puff back. Our smoke and fire damage specialists have the equipment and training to quickly return your home to a safe, clean, and comfortable environment for you and your family. We're faster to any disaster and are dedicated to responding immediately so that you can recover quickly, with less disruption to your life.
SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree is proud to be a sponsor for this year's Friends of Braintree Firefighters 2nd Annual Charity Golf Tournament.
We are proud to assist in these fundraising efforts with Braintree Fire Department
The tournament will take place on September 22, 2017. It is very important to all of us at SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree that we support our community and the people we serve. This tournament is to raise money for two deserving causes. The first is to create awareness and raise funds that go towards supporting Braintree families who have been affected by the horrible opioid epidemic in our area. Proceeds from the tournament will also go towards Braintree families in need of basic necessities as we move towards the holiday season. We are proud to assist in these fundraising efforts within our local community.
Dryer Vent Fires – Signs That It Is Time to Clean Your Vents
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 15,000 fires are sparked every year by clothes dryers.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 15,000 fires are sparked every year by clothes dryers. Lint and other debris can build up in your dryer vent, reducing air flow to the dryer, backing up dryer exhaust gases, creating a fire hazard.
Here are some of the signs that it's time to clean your vent:
- Clothing does not dry completely after a normal drying cycle.
- Drying time for clothing takes longer than 35 to 40 minutes in duration.
- A musty odor is noticed in the clothing following the drying cycle.
- Clothing seems unusually hot to the touch after a complete drying cycle.
- The dryer vent hood flap does not properly open as it is designed to do during the operation of the dryer.
- Debris is noticed within the outside dryer vent opening.
- Excessive heat is noticed within the room in which the dryer is being operated.
- Large amounts of lint accumulate in the lint trap for the dryer during operation.
- A visible sign of lint and debris is noticed around the lint filter for the dryer.
- Excessive odor is noticed from dryer sheets that are used during the drying cycle.
For vent cleaning or fire clean up, please call SERVPRO of Milton / Braintree at 781-341-7007
Ways to Avoid Damage from Air Conditioner Water Leakage
Follow these tips to reduce the likelihood of water leakage issues:
- Make sure your central AC system has a secondary drain line — especially if your air handler is in the attic.
- Install a drain pan overflow shutoff switch, equipped with a float.
- Add a safety pan under your AC unit to catch drain pan overflow.
- Clean or change your HVAC air filter regularly.
- Make sure your ductwork is properly insulated.
- Have your AC refrigerant levels checked regularly.
- Make sure each drain line contains a p-trap and air vent.
- Keep your condensate pump free from mold and mildew by flushing it with a 50% bleach/water solution.
- Schedule annual HVAC maintenance to maximize performance and minimize furnace and AC repairs.
If you experience water damage, call the pros at SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree at 781-341-7007
Attic Mold Remediation
Attic mold grows on roof sheathing in attics when warm air from the house gets trapped in the attic due to inadequate insulation or insufficient ventilation (not enough soffit and/or ridge venting). When it gets cold outside, the temperature of the roof sheathing drops below the dew point causing moisture to form on the sheathing. This combination of moisture and wood provides the perfect setting for attic mold growth. Attic mold starts as a white or gray fuzzy growth and can spread quickly. During the coldest part of winter or hottest part of summer, it goes dormant and turns black. When optimal growing conditions return, the dormant mold will come alive again and start growing and spreading.
Here at SERVPRO of Milton / Braintree, we don’t only remove your mold issues, we determine the root cause and work with you to prevent future attic mold growth. Got attic mold? Contact us at 781-341-7007 to get rid of your mold problem!