Where You Should Be Looking for Mold in Your Home
Your attic, garage, and basement are the places in your home you're most likely to find mold in your home. You may not spend much time in these rooms in your home. Not only does this mean you’re less likely to notice mold, but it also means that mold is more likely to grow due to poor ventilation. This, combined with the dark, cold nature of attics, basements, and garages, makes mold highly probable.
In the attic
Mold in the attic is a huge problem — they can contain a lot of your ventilation systems and, if left unchecked, can spread mold throughout the rest of your home.
In your attic, check for mold:
- On the roof, near any possible leaks
In your insulation.
- Near any vents from the kitchen, bathroom, or laundry room/dryer.
- Near your water heater or furnace.
- Around your soffit vents (these are the vents near the bottom of the roof that provide ventilation to the attic).
To prevent mold from growing (and spreading) in your attic, you can:
- Repair any roof leaks as soon as possible
Use the proper type of insulation.
- Properly vent items outside, instead of into your attic.
- Keep soffit vents clear to allow air flow.
- Keep your gutters cleaned and in good repair, especially during rainy months.
In the basement
Everyone knows that musty basement smell, but your basement doesn’t have to fall victim to that odor if you keep the mold out. There are a lot of areas that are prone to mold growth here, as this tends to be a moist area of the house, so here are a few reminders on where to look:
- Around pipes and ducting ( look for leaks, excess moisture, and condensation).
- Near areas where the foundation may be leaking.
- Near a sump pump.
- Windows or vents where condensation might gather.
In the garage
Rain from your car and water leaks from the roof are two of the main ways mold gets invited into your garage. If you use your garage for storage of old items or cleaning supplies, you may find mold growing in places you wouldn’t expect.
If you suspect mold growth in any of these hard to reach places, contact SERVPRO of Milton/Braintree at (781) 980-7060.