Commercial Water Damage
A leak in a commercial structure can cause water damage as well as several types of additional damage, including the growth of black mold. Here are five major risks that may result from water damage in a commercial property if water damage cleanup and restoration are not handled promptly and properly.
1. Warped or distorted building materials or contents: This type of damage falls between primary and secondary damage. If items are not necessarily ruined by the water itself but by the conditions caused by the leak, the damage can be said to be secondary.
2. Ruined electronics that may be dangerous to operate: Water can corrode and damage electronics in a commercial property. Once again, water damage is the primary cause, but other consequences can result from device malfunction or shorting.
3. The development of mold: Mold is one of the major secondary risks that can result from water damage. Black mold has a reputation as one of the most potentially dangerous consequences of water damage that is not thoroughly dried.
4. Bacterial contamination: Depending on the type of water involved in a leak and whether this water was contaminated, a secondary risk of bacterial contamination may arise. Cleanup experts can eliminate this risk by disinfecting areas and items affected by a leak that involves gray or black water.
5. Insect infestations: Leaks that are not addressed in a thorough and timely manner can also lead to infestations of silverfish, termites, or other insects that cause additional damage to a structure.
If your commercial property has experienced water damage, you should hire a service that specializes in cleaning up and providing water damage restoration. These experts should be able to minimize or prevent all types of damage which may result from the presence of excessive moisture or high humidity levels within a structure, including black mold.
Call us at 781-980-7060 for more information on commercial water damage.